Welcome to Song of Sonoma Chorus!
As a new member, we want you to feel as comfortable and as well informed as possible.
This page provides a quick look at a typical year for us, as well as the names and contact information for members who can help you within their particular expertise. Additionally, we urge you to check our website calendar often and create your own short and long range calendars to keep track of our performances, etc., as many of these events are arranged far in advance.
Who is SOS ?
Song of Sonoma was formed in 2010 with 8 members! We are now a chorus of more than seventy women whose ages range from their late teens to their seventies and who come to us from a wide range of both musical and economic backgrounds. The common thread for all of us is that we love to sing and share Barbershop A Cappella music together.
…and WHAT do we do-do-do?
Rehearse! Rehearse! and Rehearse some more!
We rehearse year-round on Tuesday nights from 7-10 PM. We are coached at least twice annually covering a Friday evening and all day Saturday. We often have a Saturday rehearsal for choreography a couple of months before performances. If you are ever unable to attend any of these rehearsals, please just let Sharon know by email. Her address is firstname.lastname@example.org .
We perform at public events, both large and small, at regional and international contests, and at various venues where we produce two shows each year.
Wednesday Night Market, Adventures in Music (A.I.M.- a regional educational event), Christmas Tree Lighting, Caroling @ Retirement Homes, Flash Mobs.
As members of Sweet Adelines International, we have the opportunity to compete with other choruses within our region (Region 12) once a year in late spring. If we score high enough, we are then invited to the International Competition in the fall of the following year. Sweet Adelines hosts these competitions in various cities around the USA.
Our Bi-Annual Shows
Twice a year we produce shows that are open to the public and we choose a theme and produce the show accordingly. One show is in June and features three high school singing finalists who compete for cash prizes. We call this our “Sing Off” and our goal is to encourage young women singers from Santa Rosa high schools to compete for cash and scholarships. Our theme for the June 2018 show is “A Garden Party” & Sing-Off Contest.
Our second show is our big Fall production, with a matinee and evening performance. We choose a cause (such as Breast Cancer Research) and donate a portion of our proceeds to a local non-profit. You can raise your hand to be on one of the many planning committees to help produce a great event!
- In addition to being a singer, each member of SOS pitches in to help with fundraising. Opportunities come up often so, when they do, pick a job that suits you and will work into your life’s schedule. Here are some examples from the past and present.
- Garage Sale
- Go-Fund Me Page
- Letter Writing
- Selling Ads for our show programs
- Restaurant Partnering
There are so many opportunities within the group for personal growth, stepping out of your comfort zone, doing things you may not have done before, and a plethora of other ways to contribute. Step up and lend a hand whenever we announce something during rehearsal. We are all amateurs at this and we don’t judge each other; we are just thrilled to be active and involved and doing fun things! And we are thrilled to have you on this amazing journey with us!
*Here’s an email list of especially helpful sisters….
- Sharon Carlson- Director and overall know it all- email@example.com
- Sue Magnuson/Kris Skold- Webpage firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer Larson- Vocal Warm-up/Assistant Director- email@example.com
- Judy Girard- Costumes- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diane Pimentel- Money matters- email@example.com
- Lori Williams – Membership Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sandi Cavanaugh- Housing/Travel- email@example.com
- Sue Magnuson- Marketing- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kris Skold- I.T. – email@example.com
- Tracy Kitz- Makeup/costume/choreography
- Christine McClarty – Current Team Coordinator